20th March 2015 was when I started to article this “NOTE” blog, since then my 3D printing experience had gone through a top tippy journey, in between which 3 friends and me holidayed in beautiful Taiwan, beautiful because of the Taiwanese people and the scenic places.
On 14th March 2015, I started to print my 1st item for “Scout”, the screwless 3D printed RC car, on Flutter wireless platform, by Taylor Alexander. In the span of 1 week, I came across articles about “Scout” twice, there was a prompting inside me to ‘hey, just print “Scout”‘, take it as a learning experience [since I got zich experience in 3D printing a RC car, much less play with one when I was young. An opportunity to learn project management skills <= time scheduling, also motivated me to print “Scout”]. Through this “Scout” adventure, it could also be a tipping point towards starting my own 3D printing services company.
Along the way, more ideas for this blog popped up and it would be fitting to pin down here, the lessons learnt during this “Scout” 3D printing adventure. I felt it to be more appropriate to categorise this blog as a “PAGE”, rather than as a “Post”.
LESSON 1: Though you may save some time printing some items together, rather than separately, But If there are various narrow width or small footprint items to be printed, as best as possible, DO NOT print many of such items at once. A screw up in 1 item may affect the rest of the items. Printing: front wheel shaft for “Scout”; this item is thin and it does not lie fully flat on the print bed and there is a tendency is for it to be knocked off the bed by the nozzle during printing. You could add the various supports to adhere the part to the bed, but then it could affect the looks of the printed item and it might not be how you expect it to look.
LESSON 2: Printing: front wheel shaft for “Scout”, at 50mm/s, flopped twice. Finally, printed successfully @ 30mm/s (see pictures for item and setting in CURA) [with all other settings maintained]
LESSON 3: Maybe I should have increased initial layer line width from 100% to perhaps 150%.
Which leads me to the next printed item => “Front wheel”. In my 1st print, the initial layer line width was set to 100%. Print time: 1h 13mins, at the 50min mark, it started to “air print” [no relation to the fruit]. It air printed for a few minutes, till I noticed it. Failure, but that’s not the end. It’s a good learning experience and this makes up LESSON 3.
I set the initial layer line width to 150%,while maintaining all other Slicer settings. Now as I am writing this line (the print is 12 minutes to the finishing line!) => Final print time: 1h 25m.
Thank you Jesus!
This list, the last section of this Page, will catalog the issues I face during printing, lengthening over time, with information, which I hope will be helpful to my fellow 3D Printing enthusiasts ( I wanted to word it as my fellow 3D Printers, but It’s weird because I want to refer to humans and not the 3D printing machine itself).
Only at the 7th attempt, did the print succeed. Only at the 7th attempt, did the part not get lifted up.
3 variables were changed. I am unable to draw a definitive conclusion. Here are the data.
|18/04/2015||The nozzle moves and extrudes very very thin and faint patterns on the bed, but the melted layers don’t form up properly||Extruder gear clicking (filament is not fed to the extruder) can be heard||Filament entangled in spool|
|30/04/2015||ONLY AT THE 7TH ATTEMPT, DID THE PRINT PROGRESSED AND COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY,||PRINT SPEED: 70mm/s, PRINT FLOPPED 3MINS LATER||To be investigated.|
|PRINT SPEED: 70mm/s, PRINT FLOPPED 3MINS LATER|
|a) BRIM ADDED, b) PRINT SPEED LOWERED TO 50mm/s. PRINT FLOPPED 10MINS LATER|
|a) BRIM ADDED, b) PRINT SPEED LOWERED TO 40mm/s. PRINT FLOPPED 3MINS LATER|
|a) BRIM ADDED, b) PRINT SPEED LOWERED TO 50mm/s. PRINT FLOPPED 3MINS LATER|
|PRINT SPEED: 50mm/s. PRINT FLOPPED 3MINS LATER|
|a) PRINT SPEED LOWERED TO 30mm/s, b) HEAD TEMP INCREASED FROM 200 DEG. C TO 210 DEG. C|